Monday, January 20, 2014

I'm Dreaming Of A Wet Christmas

I think it is very few times that I actually let you guys in on what I do during the week. When I get finished reading the emails I just like to drop a few thoughts and my feelings. Let's see if I can remember...

Monday: We had a suprise family home evening in the House of our Elders Quorum President who had been missing in church a lot. Our Recent Convert Dalva made a cake, Donizete and Terezinha (Two members I can ALWAYS count on) brought the soda, and we all showed up with out him knowing. He loved it and has been back in church good and strong ever since.
We taught Jaine, left a short message from the Book of Mormon.

Tuesday: Eesh, I remember that we worked hard, taught 4 first lessons and got soaked in the rain.

Wednesday: Was a scorcher, we carried a table and a bunch of church materials to the store where we always buy groceries, talked to lots of people that were entering and leaving the store, and got some really good references. We taught a few other people, and had a lesson where the member we brought dropped the bomb on our investigator that her baptism wasn't valid. We were pretty down because of the way she had brought it up, and had to leave with the investigator fuming.

Thursday: We tracted in a street, found out later that the Kingdom Hall of the JW's was in that street... Met a family that is really fantastic. We bought a box of candy and left it in our investigators house (the one that exploded) to help the dust settle a bit.

Friday: After much fasting and praying, we went back to that investigator, who let us in and we had a great lesson that helped her understand better the inportance of the Preisthood in Baptism. We taught a drunk who has been chasing us in the streets since two weeks ago, discovered that he has the desire to change his life and committed him to not drink until our next visit.

Saturday: Got SOAKED in the rain again! Espidito didn't drink a drop that day! (It's been years since that has happened)

Sunday: We taught taught 14 first lessons, 6 of them committed to come to church. We chased everyone down but in the end Just Jaine came. We were clearly disappointed but looking on the bright side. The ward met together (8 of us) and we visited all the people that have been missing church as of late. That was fantastic!

She had a fantastic experience! I talked to her in the street and she asked us to pray for her family. She's a single mom and has kids 19 and 14 years old. She has talked to missionaries in the past and has tried to attend a different church varias times, but never really felt right. She felt lot's of peace and the spirit. She liked Gospel Principles especially, though I was cringing when the teacher used words like "outer darkness".
We visited her after church and she accepted a baptismal date! much to the surprise of her boyfriend.

I have been feeling the spirit a lot more as of late. I learned that just because I'm set apart, called to be a missionary and help others seek and recognize the spirit, that doesn't mean that the Lord will just give me the Spirit. I was surprised how much we actually have to work for it.

I'm learning also that the things that will make me a great missionary are doing all the little things. Visiting someone who wasn't at church, giving a priesthood blessing, washing the dishes for somebody, dropping off a box of chocolates.
Just things that let people know you care. That they're not just a number to you, that we really honestly love our investigators.

1 Corinthians 13: 2

And though I have the gift of Prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Love Elder Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment