Monday, January 20, 2014

Feliz Natal!

Yes, it's almost that time of year! Though here in Brazil it's a bit different. Here are some things that are the same:
There are a few houses that have a strand of lights,
The christmas trees are about to my waist and cost $60usd!!!
The people that like to party are happy for one more holiday!
Alcohol
A big lunch, with all the family.
Christmas hymns in church.

Different:
People waited until November to put christmas gear in stores. That's how it should be.
Really hot. (I'm hoping for rain)
People are thinking about Christ more.

Christmas Caroling (I want to do it but we might get the police called on us, I've talked to a few members about doing it and the reaction is either: oh that's awesome! or "you're crazy") Either way we're sure to get a few great reactions with americans singing portuguese christmas hymns at your door.

We'll be eating at Sister Vani's house. A senhora that was baptized about a year ago and loves the missionaries, so you can bet we'll eat well (she's had Christmas reserved for us since January 2013!!!) We'll also be calling from her house so I'm pretty excited.
I'm excited to talk to you guys, it will be great. I'm also looking forward to a Christmas Conference for our mission, we'll be headed to goiania tomorrow, and get back on thursday. Should be pretty great.

Ah man. Last week I was getting my hair cut by a member that hasn't been to church in forever (he's attending another church). I always go there to talk to him a bit and bring him back. Anyway he was a bit stressed and was talking to me about how he had argued with his Preacher... Needless to say I left there feeling good about bearing testimony of the church, but with a REALLY bad haircut... He was a bit agitated and took it out on my head... haha But my hair grows really fast so it's all good!

LOT's of miracles this week. We had interviews with president and he talked about sanctifying ourselves. I made a list and fasted and prayed, told the lord I would not do things on the list that distance me from the spirit for 40 days, that I would do the things on the list that bring me closer to the spirit for 40 days.

Ever since that day we've been seeing miracles. A man that stopped us on the street and asked for a book of mormon. Apparently he found one chucked in the rain but it's a bit tough to read. A woman that showed up in the church because "I need to fill the empty in my life." and a family of 4 that we will give baptismal dates today!

Love Elder Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment