Monday, May 6, 2013

Happy P-Day!


Hey it's great to hear from you and dad. Thanks for all the medicinal advice. I'm feeling much much better nowadays. I'm pretty excited for pday today because I only have an orange and a banana left, We recieved more money now, wooooh! We live on 57 us Dollars 2 times per month! And I have everything I need. Would you guess that oranges here are cheaper than dirt!?? You can buy 6 of them for 50 cents.

Today I'm going to buy Kaki, if the store has it. It's pretty wild, looks just like a big red tomatoe but has a flavor all it's own. I would say kind of like a peach but it's not.
Also today I will try to make bread! wooh. I got a recipe from the Branch President that looks pretty easy.

Which reminds me, I was going to ask for a recipe for pizza crust and waffles. Believe it or not Elder Cain has a waffle iron!?!? Awesome. Maybe a recipe for cookies too.

So I really want to know how the branch in Philadelphia grew like that! We've started ''Integration night" Every Saturday. First time was watching the testaments and I made french toast because we didnt have a waffle recipe, haha. 

Last time I shared a message about the atonement, using water and ink to make the water dirty, then bleach to make it clean again. Unfortunately only 2 people were there to hear it. more came after we finished. haha.

Oh, so two Sundays ago I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting! The sunday before we were all going to talk about a principal of the Gospel, but ran out of time before it got to me, so I was half the meeting this time. Literally half because I play the hymns for us on the keyboard the branch has.
   Ha, I was remembering how spencer talked about how he had to just plow on because people don't follow the music. So true. I just play really loud and push fast, because the branch is used to singing really, really slowly. 

Hmm.. So we taught a LOT this week! we had quite a few good lessons, (meaning people actually kept the commitments) That seems to be the hard thing here. One thing that is frustrating for me is when people just agree with everything you say, you just want to grab them and shake them so they realize the importance of it!!! There's a question we ask a lot, "if you prayed and felt that these things are true, recieving an answer from God, would that make a difference/ change something in your life?" and people answer No. Then I want to say, you didn't understand anything we just taught!!! haha.

Usually Elder Winkel says, "what we're saying is, if Christ were here teaching, would you go to where he was teaching? yes? Well that's what we're saying, that this is his church, the same one."

Oh we met some really cool people this week. One was a family that teaches music lessons and plays sax, guitar, keyboard, etc. One was a Lady that is here studying with her son, and they came to church! yay! The other was Josehulgo, who saw us coming to get him for church and came out to meet us, shirt tie and bible. AWESOME!!! He says he wants to do the same thing as us, serve a mission. I love his enthusiasm.
This next week we're having a cake competition where only the men make the cakes. We're planning to make a cheesecake, haha, unheard of here. 
Josehulgo was saying he would make and bring a cake (21yrs old) he said that his church had an activity but he is going to come to ours because the people there are nice and talk to him! wow.

Just goes to show the difference just talking and being nice make.

This week I've been thinking a lot about expectations. I'm lucky to be in a mission that has really high expectations for obedience, for teaching, for baptisms...

In my studies I'm trying to memorize all the points of the all paragraphs of the lessons in chapter  three. Before I got here that would have sounded a little excessive, but here it is the norm, the standard. It makes me want to work hard and get all the lessons passed off quickly.

Expectations determine who we become. Our expectations for ourselves and for others. The two things we can control are our desires and efforts.

Love you all and look forward to talking with you mothers day.

Which reminds me that I have such great parents. Thank you Mom and Dad. Thanks for teaching me all that I know, for teaching me to love the scriptures. For getting me to church each sunday. For teaching me to work hard.
I look forward to talking to you 5:00 p.m. my time. haha.

Love,
Elder Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment