Monday, September 30, 2013

Cansado Mas Feliz!

If I could choose one word for this week it would be tiring. There are lots of days that I am tired, I've never slept so solidly in my life as I have during the mission. But this week I was WAY tired. We fast pretty often here and it's getting pretty hot outside! funny how the weather gets hotter in winter here.

I've been tired but always trying to be happy. Some highlights of my week are when Elder Castro and I are teaching and I can see when the person we are teaching doesn't understand and I used examples to help them understand. I've got some pretty awesome examples I like to use for the lessons. (do you remember Jilo? that nasty veggie? I like the parabola of the Jilo and cake to teach about the fall)

Another thing I love doing now is talking with people in the street. I've gotten way better at that, but this week I learned that I should listen to the spirit even in street contacts. For example usually a third of the people we talk to give their address to us, but when we go to their house they don't want anything. This week I learned that if I pay attention, the spirit helps me know who has real intent or not. This is awesome because we don't waste time chasing people that just give us an address and don't have desire to hear.

I've also been changing up the contacts I make, usually it's something about the restoration or gospel, but The plan of salvation is fun to talk to people about too. I'm amazed when I stop to make a contact and the words just flow. Really my prayers have been answered in this aspect.

This week we had Stake conference, held in our chapel. It wasn't made to hold that many people! haha. I wish I had my camera with me at the time, there wasn't a single empty seat.

Some cool things that our inspired president has done:
1. Established a goal of talking to 100 people per week in the street. (I got about 65 this week and I'm determined to get 100!)
2. removed the "Introductory lesson" So this was a lesson that you memorize almost word for word. We always used it in the first visit. It was great at the start of the mission because I could teach without knowing much portuguese. But I'm LOVING teaching more freely now. There are some missionaries that have taught this lesson their entire mission!

Anyway I'm doing great. Elder Castro is crazy to be transferred! haha he has 6 months here. I hope everyone is healthy and well and always looking to do more than we think is necessary.

This week I read alma 2, where alma leads the nephites to battle the wicked lamanites and anlicites. Alma finds himself fighting for his life against Anlici, and he starts to lose... He cries to lord, 'have mercy on me and spare my life, so that I can be an instrument in thy hands to bring this people to salvation'. And he is strengthened, slaying Anlici (name in portuguese)

We have times in our lives that we start to lose 'the battle'. I love when Book of Mormon heroes pray to be instruments in the lord's hands. I know that if we give our life to him he will make more out of us than we ever thought possible.

Love you all,
Elder Wallace

Fotos:
I spent last pday in division with Elder Daniel (from Sao paulo)
We made pizza
3. Elder Castro eats tons of eggs because he wants to get buff before he gets home. I doodled on them. Kinda weird, I know. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment